Culture Vultures, First Timers
Chart the fate of Dean Village from industrious prosperity to complete disrepute, before it became the most desirable residential district in Edinburgh. If you’re interested in hearing more about it then join this audio, downloadable tour and you will be taken around the ancient and picturesque milling village that still contains traces of its Baronial legacy. You’ll be shown the old bridge, the tollbooth, the mill and the weir, which were all formerly controlled by the Incorporation of Baxters (bakers).
You’ll see easy-to-miss details on buildings, and old maps and drawings will be shared with you as you walk the lush green banks of the Water of Leith. Together, you’ll marvel at the goddess Hygeia depicted in a Neoclassical mineral water temple before taking in the 1830s stonework of Dean Bridge, designed by architect and stonemason, Thomas Telford. While hearing about model Victorian social housing, you’ll wander around Well Court, a heritage building commissioned in the 1880s by the owner of the Scotsman Newspaper.
Lastly, you’ll walk through a chic cemetery which was the place to be buried in the 1800s, to see two modern art galleries, once glamorous Georgian orphanages.
If you’re after a peaceful walk away from the busy city streets then join and listen to an architecture tutor and tour guide, on this walk through the picturesque Dean Village.
· This is a self-guided audio tour that you can start, pause, or restart at any time* and date and complete at your own pace. You will need at least 1h15min to complete it.
· This tour starts on Stockbridge Market. 1 Saunders St, Stockbridge, Edinburgh EH3 6TQ. This tour ends outside the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art (Modern One).
· Some stairs and uneven and muddy surfaces on the way
*Please note that this tour passes the Dean Cemetery that has opening hours of 9-5pm, and DAYLIGHT HOURS IN WINTER, which means it can close as early as 3pm. The cemetery does not allow dogs.
1. On your smartphone, install VoiceMap application from the Apple App Store or Google Play
2. Create an account
3. Select Tour Codes from the menu, then select Enter Codes
4. Enter the activation code (supplied on ticket) then select Download Now
PLEASE ALSO NOTE:
· The starting point will be indicated on the downloaded tour.
· It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point, especially if you do not use 4G connection.
· Remember to fully charge your smartphone and bring your earphone
Enjoy this experience with our trusted partners: Cobble Tales