Culture Vultures, First Timers
Edinburgh’s New Town is straight out of a world history of architecture, with its classical beauty and Georgian past.
If you’re interested in hearing more about it then join this audio, downloadable tour with an informative architecture tutor and tour guide.
In 90 minutes, you’ll learn how Edinburgh became the largest planned town development in the world – and a “model city” – and in what sense its design and layout made it architecturally ideal.
Although its original Georgian fabric has suffered many alterations, you’ll be shown several clear traces of the former neoclassical city. The tour guide points out the often-overlooked details in the fanlights and elegant ironwork of the original New Town street lights. And will tell you about the 1767 master plan drawn by the young James Craig, show you buildings by celebrated British architects like Robert Adam and share old maps and drawings with you. Together, you’ll unfold the cultural context of the Scottish Enlightenment and dive into the economic and political influence of the union between Scotland and England.
You can look forward to seeing:
Along the way, you’ll find answers to questions like:
Join this tour for dramatic, breathtaking landscapes, streets lined with palatial tenements – yes, tenements! – and discover detailed and easy-to-miss features on the city’s best-preserved buildings.
The tours are location-aware, so you will hear directions and stories as you move. You can pause anytime. The tour is easy to download and you can complete it in a duration that suits you.
Tour ends at the Stockbridge Market.
Please Note: This is a self-guided tour. You will receive a voucher here to use on the app before downloading your chosen tour..
1. On your smartphone, install VoiceMap application from the Apple App Store or Google Play
2. Create an account
3. Select Tour Codes from the menu, then select Enter Codes
4. Enter your code above then select Download Now
PLEASE ALSO NOTE:
• The starting point will be indicated on the downloaded tour.
• It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point, especially if you do not use 4G connection.
• When the download completes, you’ll see a screen with a photo of the starting point and – directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point.
• The download should only take a few minutes to complete. If it takes longer, please cancel the download, go to Account, select Purchased and download the tour from there.
Remember to fully charge your smartphone and bring your earphones.
Enjoy this experience with our trusted partners: Cobble Tales